With the increasing awareness and need to start a sustainable and animal-friendly future for co-living in this world, it’s essential for all of us to be aligned towards veganism. But what if you follow a vegan lifestyle and you have to give up on your favourite masala chai? Don’t worry! We have you covered with a delightful recipe for a vegan tea version of Masala Chai. Today we will guide you through the step-by-step process of creating this vegan twist on a classic favourite.
Masala Vegan Tea Ingredients
To prepare this vegan version of Masala Chai, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of loose-leaf black tea or tea bags
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, grated or thinly sliced
- 2-3 teaspoons of sweetener (optional)
Recipe of Masala Vegan Tea
1. Prepare the Spice Blend
- Start by preparing the spice blend. In a mortar and pestle, crush the green cardamom pods and cloves until they are slightly broken, releasing their flavours.
- Add the crushed spices along with the cinnamon stick to a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Brew the Tea
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Once the water reaches a rolling boil, add the loose-leaf black tea or tea bags to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the tea steep for about 3-4 minutes.
- After the desired steeping time, remove the tea leaves or tea bags and discard them.
3. Add the Spices
- Add the spice blend and the grated or sliced ginger to the saucepan containing the brewed tea.
- Allow the tea and spices to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. This will infuse the flavours of the spices and ginger into the tea.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
4. Add the Plant-Based Milk
- After simmering the tea and spices, add the plant-based milk of your choice to the saucepan.
- Stir well to ensure the milk combines with the tea and spices.
- Continue to simmer the mixture for another 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
5. Sweeten to Taste (Optional)
- If desired, add your preferred sweetener to the chai mixture.
- Stir well until the sweetener dissolves completely.
- Adjust the sweetness according to your preference.
6. Strain and Serve
- Once the chai is ready, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve or tea strainer into individual serving cups.
- Gently press the back of a spoon against the sieve to extract all the flavorful liquid.
- Serve the vegan Masala Chai hot and enjoy!
Indulging in the flavoursome experience of Masala Chai with the teashop is no longer limited to non-vegans. With this simple and delightful recipe, you can enjoy the robustness of spices and the comfort of a warm cup of tea, all while adhering to your vegan lifestyle.
The vegan tea version of Masala Chai provides a perfect balance of flavours and is sure to become a favourite among tea enthusiasts. So, go ahead and brew a cup of the Tea Shop’s aromatic and vegan-friendly beverage, and let the tantalizing flavours transport you to a world of pure bliss.
Is masala chai vegan?
No, Masala Chai is not vegan but you can make vegan masala chai by using mild chai masala with vegan milk or warm water.
Can you make chai tea vegan?
Yes, most of the products or tea mixes are vegan and available on the teashop. You can make vegan tea using a variety of dairy-free milk.
Can we use masala chai powder without milk?
Yes, you can use masala chai powder without using milk by adding a comparatively lesser portion of masala than the portion used for usual milk tea.
What is the best tea for masala chai?
Ginger tea combined with tea masala from the Teashop is the best tea combination you can ever taste as a chai lover.